Double Fine has announced Amnesia Fortnight 2026, Indie Reboot, a two-week online game jam that will let Kickstarter backers help choose the studio’s next small game. The announcement arrived on August 21, while the Kickstarter campaign is scheduled to launch on August 31, 2026.
A Reddit discussion about the announcement points to the official Kickstarter campaign, which identifies Indie Reboot as this year’s Amnesia Fortnight project. Its full title is Amnesia Fortnight 2026 – Indie Reboot: A Double Fine Productions Game Jam, Documentary and Kickstarter Campaign.
Four prototypes will lead to one game
During the event, Double Fine’s developers will turn ideas from a broad group of concepts into playable prototypes. Backers will choose which ideas receive that treatment, with four projects moving forward. Once those prototypes are ready, another vote will decide which one becomes a real small game made by the studio.
Double Fine has not named the concepts yet, so the campaign will begin before supporters know which project might ultimately win. A funding target has not been stated, and reward tiers remain undisclosed. Backers may also have a chance to receive merchandise and rare items during the campaign.
Amnesia Fortnight has already produced Double Fine games
Amnesia Fortnight began as an internal break from Brutal Legend. Double Fine’s teams would pause their main work, split into smaller groups, and spend two weeks building fresh prototypes.
The studio held the jam every few years before it went on hiatus after Microsoft acquired Double Fine in 2019. It later returned to the format, with projects such as Costume Quest, Stacking, and the recently released Kiln growing out of the process. Earlier efforts also helped produce Spacebase DF-9 and Headlander, while another prototype, Compton’s Cookout, fed into Psychonauts 2.
2 Player Productions will film the jam
Fans will get more than prototypes this time. 2 Player Productions will film the game jam and development process for a documentary. The team previously chronicled the creation of Psychonauts 2 in a 22-hour series, giving viewers an unusually detailed look at the work behind a major game.
Double Fine’s Kickstarter history
The studio has used Kickstarter before. Its 2012 campaign funded the throwback adventure game that became Broken Age, which eventually launched in two parts across 2014 and 2015.
Double Fine’s first project as an independent studio
Indie Reboot follows Double Fine’s return to independence after years under Microsoft ownership. Double Fine and South of Midnight developer Compulsion Games both returned to independent ownership, kept their intellectual property and game catalogs, and received investment to help restart operations.
During an August 21 livestream, Tim Schafer discussed the company’s plans after leaving Xbox. He said Microsoft provided Double Fine with some financial runway after the split, but that the game jam could help extend it. “It’s a runway, not a freeway – it won’t go forever.”
Schafer also confirmed that Double Fine now has the rights and publishing rights for its earlier games. Some titles may still show Microsoft’s name while the changes are processed, but sales of those games will now support Double Fine and help fund its next projects.
At the end of July, 23 Double Fine employees were let go. Schafer said the painful decision was tied to the studio’s survival and the need to operate with a team size it could sustain as an independent company. Amnesia Fortnight now gives the remaining team a way to put several ideas in front of its supporters before one becomes the next project.
For now, the next Amnesia Fortnight project has a name, a voting structure, and a Kickstarter date. Its concepts, funding target, and full reward details are still waiting to be revealed.
What do you think of Double Fine’s Indie Reboot announcement? Share your thoughts in the comments, and follow us on X, Bluesky, YouTube, Instagram, Steam, and Telegram.
