The inaugural Esports Nations Cup will not be held in 2026 after the Esports Foundation announced in an official announcement on Aug. 18 that it would postpone the tournament to November 2027.
The event was originally planned for Riyadh in November 2026. The rescheduled tournament remains planned for Riyadh’s Boulevard City in November 2027, but its new window does not include a specific starting date yet, leaving organizers with more work to do before the competition returns to the calendar.
The original plan called for a Riyadh tournament from Nov. 17-22, 2026, with an EA Sports FC competition expected to feature 128 players, as detailed in our coverage of the planned field. The 2026 program was also expected to feature 16 esports titles, including League of Legends, Counter-Strike 2, Valorant, and Rocket League, with T1 star Lee ‘Faker’ Sang-hyeok among the notable names expected to compete. The Esports Nations Cup is designed to have players represent countries and territories instead of their usual esports organizations across multiple games. More than 100 countries and territories across every continent have secured official partner status for the event.
The Esports Foundation cited regional uncertainty
According to the Foundation, the postponement should give national teams, publishers, partners, fans, and other participants a clearer picture of how the event will proceed. The organization pointed to the wider situation in the Middle East and the need for steadier conditions around a tournament involving partners from many countries.
The Foundation also stressed that Saudi Arabia can continue hosting major sporting and entertainment events. Its decision was tied to the broader regional circumstances surrounding an international competition, rather than an announcement that Riyadh could no longer host events.
Existing Esports Nations Cup Development Fund commitments to National Team Partners will remain active. Related development programs will also continue as organizers work toward the 2027 launch.
Games and qualification details remain unresolved
The delay gives players, teams, coaches, local federations, and publishers more time to settle eligibility requirements, staff arrangements, and participation agreements. Most participating rosters and players had already qualified for their respective games when the postponement was announced, but the Foundation has not said whether those teams and players will keep their places in 2027.
The Esports Foundation will work with National Team Partners, publishers, and other stakeholders to clarify the revised competition calendar and qualification paths. It also means the final game lineup and qualification system have not been confirmed for the rescheduled tournament.
The Esports Nations Cup account confirmed the new timing in an Aug. 18 post, but the Esports Foundation did not provide a precise November 2027 date or a revised qualification format. Esports Foundation CEO Ralf Reichert said the decision was “not taken lightly” and that the inaugural competition should launch under the right conditions.
What do you think about the Esports Nations Cup’s postponement? Share your thoughts in the comments, and follow us on X, Bluesky, YouTube, Instagram, Steam, Telegram.
